Sea Lion

Sea Lion
WE is controlled

Monday 20 September 2010

Chesca and Jay - an introduction

Vital Stats – an introduction to who this blog is about…

Jay – My girl… 15hh chestnut Arab mare. Typical red-head with four white socks and a penchant for being a drama queen. Likes jumping and going fast but sadly not all that brave.
Tangle – Everybody’s favourite, the pony you wished you owned as a child. Only 3.5yrs she’s already a wise head on young shoulders and despite being the smallest at 12hh she definitely rules the roost. She likes eating, eating, and more eating.
Tasha – The newbie. 13hh Welsh Sec B ex-broodmare. She’s shy and dainty, with a very easy-going nature and (so far) no strong views about anything in particular.

Well it has been a funny old month. Three weeks before my wedding on the 17th September, I ‘parted company’ from Jay following a spectacular leap over a five-bar gate… the consequences of which included a dislocated hip, a night in hospital amidst a flurry of wedding plans, and the million-dollar question What To Do With The Horse? With a family-imposed ‘ban’ on riding again before the wedding lest I do further more serious damage to myself, and then honeymooning until the beginning of October, the only option seemed to be to turn her away again. As I had just brought her back up to fitness following her June/July summer holiday, I was loathe to do this - the Riding Club is back in full swing in the new school year and I had lots of winter activities planned… so she’s actually gone on a busman’s holiday at a local agricultural college for half a term. Leaving me ‘horse-less’ with just the two ponies for a few weeks, and not quite sure what to do with myself, to be honest.

Tangle is less than impressed about being promoted from lazy companion pony to number one string… not that I have been riding her myself due to afore-mentioned riding ban (12hh of roly-poly Welsh Mountain Pony still being considered too far to fall from in the run up to the big day… anyone would think I made a habit of falling off!) However Tangle has made friends with a young girl at the yard and so in my riding-less days I find myself supervising a very sweet little girl dressed in pink to match Tangle’s saddlecloth while she brushes what she can reach and has lead rein walks in the school and up and down our quiet lane.

It’ll be good to have a few quiet weeks to focus on Tasha before Jay comes home. Tasha was meant to be a ‘summer project’, but due to some issues under saddle (and, let’s face it, her incredibly endearing nature) I have decided to keep her long-term. Whilst three mouths to feed this winter doesn’t exactly thrill me, it has meant I can indulge in my inner rug-aholism and kit her out with a suitable winter wardrobe… what is it us equestriennes get so excited about by new rugs anyway? I’ll ponder on that til next time I think…

No comments:

Post a Comment