Sea Lion

Sea Lion
WE is controlled

Wednesday 29 December 2010

Reflecting on 2010

WE finally managed a white Christmas this year then… and as there has been precious little happening due to the snow, perhaps now is a good time to reflect on 2010…

And what a mixed horsey year it has been!

January and February started much as we are now – snowbound! For the first time in her life, Jay started to struggle with holding her weight. Fortunately that coincided well with us being accepted onto a Winergy Feed Trial, and once she got over her fussiness about a new diet, she quickly started to look her old self again.

The early part of the year saw us desperately trying against all the odds to Get Fit For Camp. Yes, for the first time ever, I had bitten the bullet and booked myself and Jay onto a riding club camp, to be held at Stockland Lovell in late April. Four days of riding – bliss.

We managed to squeeze in a few fun rides, including one with the local hunt which was fast and furious with a certain small chestnut arab wanting to lead the way most of the time! And not to forget my first outing with the riding club I was going on Camp with – the soppiest, soggiest ride I have ever – and no doubt will ever – do again. After 2 hours we all decided we were wet enough – but it was a fabulous day despite the weather. Both occasions caused me to discover what Jay likes best – galloping!

2010 was also the year I did XC for the first time – I enrolled myself on three group sessions at local courses. Neither Jay nor I are particularly brave, so there’s no chances of us becoming the next Lucinda and Brit – we did enjoy ourselves tho.

I also joined the local gym and went swimming 2 or 3 times a week. I rode every morning before work whenever possible. So by the time Camp came round, we were both as fit as we’d ever been…

It was an exhausting but wonderful week – I can highly recommend it to anyone. Jay and I got to know each other on a whole new level – and the chance to use such wonderful facilities was simply amazing. It also gave us new confidence on the XC course – shortly after coming home from camp we went on another fun ride, and tackled the biggest fences we have ever done with a confidence that seemed to come from another planet!

Things tailed off for us after that as I became more and more busy with work, so by the time June came round while everyone else was enjoying the long summer evenings, Jay was more or less pensioned off. It wasn’t all quiet tho – after I came back from camp I bought Tasha as a ‘summer project’ (whoops) and Tangle got lightly backed, taking to ridden life perfectly. I also ventured out to a show with her in May, where she was exceptionally well behaved and ended up as Reserve Champion in the In-Hand ring – I was so proud of my little baby pony.

Things started to pick up in August – until that spectacular fall at the end of the month where I dislocated my hip… So then Jay went off to college, I got married and went on honeymoon, and the rest of the year seems to have whistled past in a flash to be honest!

In so many ways 2010 has been the best and worst year of my life. I’m rather intrigued to see what 2011 will bring… I hope more showing success with Tangle and Tasha, another camp for Jay and I perhaps, and maybe some more XC. No more falls – and certainly no more weddings!

No comments:

Post a Comment