Sea Lion

Sea Lion
WE is controlled

Wednesday 9 February 2011

New Year

I’ve somehow escaped the whole ‘New Year’s Resolutions’ thing this time round… as if not committing any to paper makes them somehow easier to uphold. ‘Standard’ resolutions always apply – such as to ride more, and not give in to the warmth of the duvet on a freezing dark January morning (always my worst month!)

I did quite well – two whole weeks of rising in the dark and on board and in the school before anyone else at the yard even arrived, getting to work having practically lived a whole day already! Quite a feeling of smugness actually! Jay was really thrilled to be back in work – I had a lesson in mid-January; the first we’d been able to get to for a while because of the weather and Christmas, and my instructor commented on how happy she was to be able to use her brain. The more you challenge her, the more she knuckles down and works for you. She hates any period of inactivity, especially in winter when it’s so cold and miserable all the time.

So she loved her lesson, and tackled with enthusiasm the many new challenges thrown at her. We had a go at refining our recently learnt shoulder-in, leg yield, and putting together various exercises with the introduction of quarter pirouettes in walk. I can’t speak for her mental state – but mine can only be described as ‘exhausted’ by the time we finished!

Unfortunately shortly after that lesson, I succumbed to flu and I have only managed to ride twice since. So I am aiming for a ‘Chinese New Year’ resolution to take over now, and will try again for February! Rather excitingly we are trying our hands at endurance later in the month with a 17km Training Ride – undoubtedly Jay will take to it like a duck to water but I am slightly worried about my fitness – or lack thereof. I’ll let you know next time how we fare!

I’m back to having three again now too – Tangle had wintered away keeping a friend’s horse company for a few months, but they have now moved on and so she came home last week. She is incredibly fluffy, fat and shiny, and looks really grown up – I am sure she is taller too, although the tape says otherwise! I’m hoping she will make her ridden showing debut later this year, so I am starting to bring her back into work now. I had forgotten how much extra work three is over two, especially at this time of year, but it is wonderful to have the Small Thing home again; she’s such a fantastic personality to have around!

No comments:

Post a Comment